Religion and art
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Religion and art

Everything and anything about religion and art + Vatican

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

San Pietro in Vincoli

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Benedetta

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-07-13

San Pietro in Vincoli Empty
PostSubject: San Pietro in Vincoli   San Pietro in Vincoli Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 pm

I love you I love this church!! The first time I was there in 2006, I keend in front of the chains and I was so ...moved...these were the CHAINS of St. Peter!!! Shocked I was absolutely fascinated. Very Happy . The next thing I watched was this terrific statue of Michelangelo- I really was totally impressed, and I think its my favorite figure from Michelangelo. Here the pics I made in 2006:

San Pietro in Vincoli 63b56f64

San Pietro in Vincoli 9b817bee

These were made in 2007- with a friend of mine who took some pics of me, praying in front of the chains

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200218

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200220

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200219

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200232

Grave for Julius Cesar

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200223

Moses
San Pietro in Vincoli P5200222-1

Ceiling

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200225

Me

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200226-1

San Pietro in Vincoli P5200227
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: San Pietro in Vincoli   San Pietro in Vincoli Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 9:57 pm

Great pictures!!! Thank you Very Happy
When I was in Rome with my classmates we were trying to find that church. But we didn't know the way, so we tried to ask. But you know, not many Italians know English. We rememberd the word vincoli, but we were not sure, if it really means chains. So we were showing them our hands in a position one could think it means chained, and repeating the word vincoli. Some of them looked really scared. They thought we are freaks who ask them to chain our hands. So, no miracle, we didn't find it.
But last year I was back in Rome. This time prepared Smile and with map. That statue is really great. It is almost hard to believe that Pieta from Saint Peter's is also from Michelangelo. I'll try to find something more about the chains. There is some story behind them. The Moses is from unfinished monument for pope Julius II. It should be very big with about 40 figures (some its statues are now in Louvre) and Michelangelo wanted to finish it so much. But it was not to be. Pope wanted him to paint the Sistine chapel. And Michelangelo hated it. He considered himself a sculptur not a painter. So when finally the Sistine chapel was ready and Michelangelo could continue, pope died and his family refused to pay so much money for a monument.
Back to top Go down
https://vaticanart.forumotion.com
ada

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-07-14

PostSubject: Re: San Pietro in Vincoli   San Pietro in Vincoli Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2007 1:04 pm

I visited that church the first time i was in rome but the second time when I went there it was closed 'cause it was at noon .It's not that hard to find it.If u go on Via Cavour right around the metro station called Cavour u'll see some stairs and if u go to the top of those stairs and go right u'll end up in the small square where that church is located.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: San Pietro in Vincoli   San Pietro in Vincoli Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

San Pietro in Vincoli
Page 1 of 1